Chapter 7 – Gratitude

Forums Events and Programs (public) The Science of Getting Rich Chapter 7 – Gratitude

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jade Figueroa 11 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Trevan
    Keymaster

7: Gratitude

Please post all comments and or questions to this section of the forum for Chap 7

~~~~~~~~~~

I was so touched by the insight that Leslie shared concerning these two chapters. I made a list today of 5 things I was grateful for and was so upset at myself because I could only think of 5 things.

After this teleconference and going over these two chapters I now realize that I was allowing my distress to overshadow the joy of feeling gratitude in this situation. I am not sure I got this correct but reading from my notes of this call I wrote, ‘it is a gift to choose gratitude when we are in the heat of a bad situation’, and release our resistence to things as they are – tell yourself you are doing the best you are capable of doing at this piont in your life – experience gratitude – remember God can make lemonade out of lemons.

This particular statement in chapter 7 had a very profound affect upon me –

“But the value of gratitude does not consist solely in getting you more blessings in the future. Without gratitude you cannot long keep from dissatisfied thought regarding things as they are. The moment you permit your mind to dwell with dissatisfaction upon things as they are, you begin to
    lose ground. You fix attention upon the common, the ordinary, the poor, and the squalid and mean;and your mind takes the form of these things. Then you will transmit these forms or mental images to the Formless, and the common, the poor, the squalid, and mean will come to you”

Today I spent all of the time I could handle emotionally on trying to find the how of how to put this to work for me so I can wrap my mind around what I am going through to learn what I need to learn.

This weeks teleconference was what I needed to hear and learn and now apply along with lesson 10 of the TMF course.

It was also very helpful to realize that I am not alone in this journey that others have struggles and are overcoming those struggles as they apply the universal prinicples. So to all who shared this evening THANK YOU. I am grateful to each of you for your insight and honesty.

• Author
    Replies

Jade Figueroa
    Participant

thanks

CamJPalmer
    Participant

So true – thank you for sharing that. I have just finished the class questions and I can tell you that participating in the forum was a great experience for me because it allowed me to write my thoughts and feelings down about the material – it helped me internalize it better.

Thanks again!

Leslie
    Keymaster

Love this one – just today I was given the OPPORTUNITY to work with a disgruntled customer. Any time something like that happens, the first feeling is an “ugh” in the gut, because nobody likes to find out that someone isn’t just perfectly happy with everything you do. But I’ve learned that if I can immediately look at it as the opportunity that it is, as a gift to teach me something that I can use to improve me and my services, then the gems it contains begin to rise to the surface.

It’s through these experiences that we learn what policies need to be established, what holes need to be closed, which MUST happen before our business can grow and service the larger numbers of people we want it to ultimately service. I would so much prefer learning the lessons where we are, than to learn them with bigger numbers and with more relationships at stake.

And, best of all it’s an opportunity to practice the principles in spite of the appearances of failure, to some degree. There are always great rewards on the other side of that. So yes, be grateful even for the “ugh’s” in the gut.

CamJPalmer
    Participant

Leslie! Sorry I missed this week’s seminar! I am catching up 🙂 Some of these answers are directly from the book – it expresses these ideas better than I can.

1) First, you believe that there is one Intelligent Substance, from which all things proceed; second, you believe that this Substance gives you everything you desire; and third, you relate yourself to it by a feeling of deep and profound gratitude.

2) The mental attitude of gratitude draws the mind into closer touch with the source from which blessing come.

3) Action and reaction are always equal and in opposite directions. The grateful outreaching of your mind in thankful praises to the Supreme is a liberation or expenditure of force; it cannot fail to reach that to which it addressed and the reaction is an instantaneous movement towards you.

4) Faith is born of gratitude. The grateful mind continually expects good things, and expectation becomes faith. The reaction of gratitude upon one’s own mind produces faith: and every outgoing wave of grateful thanksgiving increases faith.

5) All things are good for us because they give us the opportunity to express gratitude. He who has no feeling of gratitude cannot long retain a living faith; and without a living faith you cannot get rich by the creative method. Once we gain the ability to be grateful for all things, we invoke the principle of action and reaction (or the Law of Gratitude) which draws the Intelligent Substance closer to us.

Leslie
    Keymaster

Hello Friends! After you listen to the call on this chapter, answer the following questions here as a reply, or in a journal.

1) What are the 3 steps by which you relate yourself to the Supreme Power?
    2) Explain how gratitude keeps you in tune with God.
    3) Explain the principle of action and reaction.
    4) Explain the relationship between faith and gratitude.
    5) Explain why and how all things are for our good.

Leslie
    Keymaster

Oooh – I love that, Rochelle!

Ken_Carroll
    Participant

Rochelle, thank you for the compliment. Hopefully my life’s experiences can be of a benefit to others. I’m always happy to share. Ken

Trevan
    Keymaster

I love knowing that “every opportunity to grow and progress is made available to us in every area of development” I do not remember the words you spoke last night during the teleclass but I remember the joy I felt as you shared with the rest of us.

You have a wonderful way of expressing your thoughts in a way that comes across to me at least as honest and insightful

Ken_Carroll
    Participant

Thank you Rochelle,

I agree on the evolution theory, and I believe that as we truly fulfill our potential that any and every opportunity to grow and progress is made available to us in every area of development.
    Ken Carroll

Trevan
    Keymaster

The Fabulous Wild Parrots of Chicago
    http://www.brooklynparrots.com/2006/05/photo-essay-fabulous-wild-parrots-of.html

“When an organism has more life than can be expressed in the functions of its own plane, it develops the organs of a higher plane, and a new species is originated.”

“There never would have been new species had there not been organisms which more than filled their places. The law is exactly the same for you; your getting rich depends upon your applying this principle to your own affairs.”

Personally I do not believe in the literal meaning of evolution as taught to children and adults in schools and colleges. I believe we were created in the image of our Heavenly Father. Now that being stated I do believe that we can evolve emotionally, intellectually, and physically by the things we choose to do. I believe we learn to adapt to our environment.

On a recent trip to Chicago my son in law told us that we were going to visit the wild parrots of Chicago. When we arrived at our destination there were no birds to see. The children were so disappointed and so was I and the rest of the adults. So I prayed to Heavenly Father and asked Him to grant us the privilege to see with our own eyes the wild parrots of Chicago. My prayer was answered. All of a sudden without much warning we saw them flying from tree to tree, we say one of their nests which is huge. I spent the next few minutes in humble gratitude expressing my thanks to my Father In Heaven.

When we were talking about the above quote from our class I was reminded of the parrots and how they through necessity adapted/evolved to survive their new surroundings. For me that is how I am going to interpret the evolution theory set forth in last weeks lesson.

MelanieV
    Participant

Tammy, that reference hit me this time, too. Probably because I’ve been saying it with my children all month. It’s a scripture I will certainly reference a lot from now on.

Rochelle, I hope to meet you someday, too, and thanks for checking out my blog. By the way, I checked out your website last week and you sell some fun things!

Tammy
    Participant

Just something I thought I would share that hit me during the teleclass.

Chapter 8, line 58 it says, “Whatsoever things ye ask for when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.” That is Mark 11:24 in the New Testament. As Melanie mentioned in another thread, that is the primary childrens scripture this month.

This is the key, what you ask for in prayer and what you picture in your mind have to line up for the promise in Mark 11:24 to work.:3:

Tammy

Trevan
    Keymaster

Hi I just returned from the womens broadcast and decided to check the forum. Melanie I do hope to met you someday. I am heading on over to your blog. I want to read what you wrote about the 7 laws……thanks for sharing your knowledge.

MelanieV
    Participant

You’re welcome! I’m glad I was able to help lift your spirits.

You’re doing such a great job of finding the blessings in your situation. Keep it up!

Trevan
    Keymaster

Melanie, your my angel I needed to read what you wrote to me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I know you must miss your mother I miss mine she died 8 years ago and I miss her so much.

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. I have had a very challenging day today but in the end found the blessing for what has happened during the course of the day. All of these new laws that we are learning about give us the opportunity if we so choose to recognize the blessings even in what we might title as negative, we can if we look with faith find the blessing.

Life is wonderful. Last nights call lifted my spirits and your post is doing the same .

Thank you

MelanieV
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Rochelle. I also took lots of notes. What an amazing chapter! And I’m so grateful for the rest of you on the call because I learn so much from each of you.

I love Sandra Mann’s “Gratitude is Our Attitude” poster. I can see how that would be fun to create and how valuable it will be to ingrain this concept into my children while they’re still young.

Rochelle, I’m sure each of your children would say that you are amazing. My mother died when she was 68 years old. The thing that has been most difficult for me is that she had no idea how amazing she was her entire life. She focused more on the things she didn’t feel she did well and she didn’t realize how many lives she affected just by being herself. She listened to others and our friends always felt love and acceptance from her.

I don’t know you personally, but it sounds to me like you can be hard on yourself, too (and, quite honestly, I think most of us fit into this category). Your notes were right–you need to tell yourself that you’re doing the best you know how. I realize you’re in a tough situation and I’m excited to hear how you’re able to put the laws to work for you so that you thrive! You’re on the right path, learning new ideas and helping others. You are amazing! I’m grateful for the chance to get to know you and look forward to getting to know you even better.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.