Learning not to interrupt…

Forums General Rare Faith Forum (public) The Laws The Law of Cause and Effect Learning not to interrupt…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Katiev16 10 years, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

AngieDixon
    Participant

I was just reading “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff,” by Richard Carlson. He talks particularly about interrupting people and finishing their sentences. I do that so often, and I know how annoying it is to other people, and I have tried many times to stop. He explains that often busy people do it more, but it makes both parties feel rushed and anxious, and that learning to stop yourself not only improves your relationships, but makes you feel calmer and more settled, as well.

I made a new commitment to my husband to stop doing that. I’m generally an easy person to get along with, unless you’re an especially rude customer service person (in which case I’m your worst nightmare of the customer who calls your boss). But I do tend to jump in a lot.

Another thing I do, that my 13-year-old son hates, is guess out loud who did it in a crime show. I’ve started writing down my guess and giving it to my husband to hold. The reason my son hates it so much is that I’m almost always right. “How do you DO that?” I’m a writer. This is what I do. But I am trying to hold my tongue. Actually, tonight Jim and I were watching something, and he figured it out before I did…because I was running my mouth instead of paying attention 🙂

• Author
    Replies

renaepelo
    Participant

Thank you so much for bringing that up. Harmony is so good with her intuition. She should know. I will be more patient with my inspiration in the future.

Katiev16
    Participant

@harmony 5027 wrote:

Angie, I’ve found that life becomes totally different when we stop interrupting and allow others to finish the course of their thoughts.

I love dancing with ideas, and it is sometimes hard to resist the temptation to jump right in with a new thought, all bright and fabulous!

But I have learned that interrupting can be a form of dishonoring. When I interrupt, it makes it difficult for others to be authentic with me. And it makes it difficult for them to hold still for me to express my own authenticity.

In developing intuition, we can sometimes have the same pattern. We receive a glimpse, an image, and immediately want to interrupt with our interpretations!

But what would happen if we let that image or feeling sit for a few more moments, and we let the understanding rise up from within? What would happen if we stopped applying our experiences from the past to the newly formed intuitive knowledge, and just let it be what it is in this moment?

We might find deeper connection with others, and a truer sense of direction in our lives. We might find more wisdom and greater understanding than our conscious minds would have allowed. We might find that intuition is real and reliable after all.

Thanks for bringing all this to my mind.

Harmony

That was BEAUTIFUL Harmony! So pertinent to my life! I am learning in this process of changing my thoughts to be very aware of and grateful for the thoughts and feelings that come. Everything works so much better if I can allow time for the whole thought, but I rarely do. Thank you.

renaepelo
    Participant

Really listening is something I am working on as well. I have so much to learn. Thank you for being my teachers.

Renae

Harmony
    Participant

A really interesting point, Terrie… My eyes have opened more, and I will be paying attention to how I interrupt the flow of my own life — usually with fears. And once I recognize fear, I sure know how to get rid of it! Thank you for posting this great insight!

Harmony

cambersimson
    Participant

I love that point of view! Thanks for adding that Terrie. I think I am guilty of that as well at times.

Terrie
    Participant

Hi
    While reading this excellent post I thought wow this is not just about manners when in conversation but in life as well. I started to wonder how often I interrupt life with my agenda and never see the full results – I imagine there would be really wonderful ones that I have not waited to see unfold.
    What do you think?
    Terrie

Harmony
    Participant

Angie, I’ve found that life becomes totally different when we stop interrupting and allow others to finish the course of their thoughts.

I love dancing with ideas, and it is sometimes hard to resist the temptation to jump right in with a new thought, all bright and fabulous!

But I have learned that interrupting can be a form of dishonoring. When I interrupt, it makes it difficult for others to be authentic with me. And it makes it difficult for them to hold still for me to express my own authenticity.

In developing intuition, we can sometimes have the same pattern. We receive a glimpse, an image, and immediately want to interrupt with our interpretations!

But what would happen if we let that image or feeling sit for a few more moments, and we let the understanding rise up from within? What would happen if we stopped applying our experiences from the past to the newly formed intuitive knowledge, and just let it be what it is in this moment?

We might find deeper connection with others, and a truer sense of direction in our lives. We might find more wisdom and greater understanding than our conscious minds would have allowed. We might find that intuition is real and reliable after all.

Thanks for bringing all this to my mind.

Harmony

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.